1. Socially sanctioned death includes all of the following except
a. the Holocaust
2. The five-stage model developed by Kubler-Ross
a. emphasizes psychosocial responses to illness
b. describes tasks to be undertaken while dying
c. stresses physical needs of dying persons
d. has been confirmed by subsequent research
e. none of the above
3. For an adult, the death of a parent or grandparent
a. initiates the persons place in the sandwich generation
b. inaugurates the empty nest syndrome
c. removes a generational buffer
d. all of these
e. none of these
4. Older adults are more likely to die from __________, while younger adults are more likely to die from accidents.
a. chronic diseases
b. acute diseases
c. communicative diseases
d. car crashes
5. The subconcept of death related to the recognition that death involves the complete and final cessation of all life-defining capabilities attributed to a living physical body is:
c. noncorporeal continuation
6. At the present time, most deaths in the United States occur:
a. in nursing homes or long-term health care facilities
b. in hospitals or medical center
c. in retirement centers
d. in day-care facilities
7. When an end of life nurse discusses specific diseases and describes mortality statistics, this exemplifies which dimension of death-related education?
8. Three elements are essential in all bereavement:
a. Anticipation, depersonalization, and love
b. Loneliness, shame, and melancholia
c. A valued relationship, loss, and a survivor
d. Depression, loss, and cacthexis
e. Grief, guilt, and decthexis
9. When children learn about death by finding, touching and burying a dead bird in the woods, their experience illustrates the potential of:
a. informal education
b. teachable moment
c. near death understanding
d. vocational motivation
10. The elements of a death system include
a. preventing death
b. caring for the death
c. objects and symbols
d. disposing of dead
e. sanctioning certain kinds of killing
11. Nursing homes differ from hospitals in that they
a. lack facilities for acute care
b. have resources for chronic care
c. have resources for home care
d. lack facilities for rehabilitative care
e. lack resources for chronic care
12. The person who started the modern hospice movement is:
a. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
b. Cicely Saunders
c. Glen Davidson
d. Phillipe Aries
e. Robert Kastenbaum
13. Most members of our contemporary society experience death and dying through:
a. direct personal experience
b. newspapers, radio, and television
c. providing care for dying persons
d. all of these
14. Grief which occurs as a result of a loss that is not or cannot be openly acknowledged, publicly mourned, or socially supported is called
a. anticipatory grief
b. pathological grief
c. complicated grief
d. disenfranchised grief
e. none of these
15. A 1981 presidential commission proposed a definition of death later codified in the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA). This definition requires or includes:
a. an invariant procedure for the determination of death
b. reversible loss of circulatory and respiratory functions
c. irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem
d. irreversible stoppage of the capacity for bodily integration and social interaction
e. a metaphysical change in the very substance of the being
Part II Short Essay Questions (15 points)
It is UMUC policy that acceptable college level writing is to be considered in grading students written work. Take care to express your thoughts in logical, well-organized form.
Answer the following question in well-developed paragraphs.
A. Define what is meant by a death system. Then identify and explain some of the elements and functions of a death system.
Two paragraphs (8 points)
B. Provide a detailed definition of grief, bereavement and mourning; explain how they are similar, unrelated, or different. Give examples of each, including your thoughts.
Two paragraphs (7 points)
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.