I’m studying for my English class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher”
In ALL questions, consider the following: Poe believed that all aspects of a story should help to focus on a single effect on the reader. Keep in mind the issues we have covered concerning NARRATIVE, PLOT, IMAGERY, SETTING, and TONE in fiction thus far. What elements of Romanticism do you see? What elements of The Gothic do you see? What elements of Dark Romanticism (or American Gothic) do you see?
1) Describe the room that Roderick Usher is staying in. What elements from the questions above do you see throughout the setting of the story?
2) Do you consider this story to have a reliable narrator? Why or why not? To answer this, consider the following: How does the narrator hear from Roderick? The narrator is struck by Roderick’s excessive nervous agitation. However, he had been prepared for something like this. What had prepared him? How did the narrator and Roderick know each other? Is this a proper explanation for their relationship and knowledge of one another? Explain.
3) Roderick describes his illness to the narrator. What are some of the things he is bothered by? What is Madeline’s long lasting illness? How has it been treated? What does this tell you? Frame your answer with regard to the questions at the beginning of this post.
4) When Madeline dies, what does Roderick plan to do with the body? Why? Describe the vault in which the narrator and Roderick place Madeline’s coffin. As they gaze on Madeline, the narrator commented on her resemblance to Roderick. What does he tell the narrator? What does all this mean?
5) After Madeline’s death, how did Roderick change? What does this tell you? On the 7th or 8th night after Madeline’s death, why couldn’t the narrator sleep? What imagery informs the way you are meant to understand the plot?
6) How does Roderick die? The narrator flees from the house out into the storm. A wild light appears behind him so he turns to see what caused it. What does he witness? This is an extended metaphor for the whole story. Explain what it means from the plot’s standpoint and then discuss how it fits into the broader “American Gothic movement.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.