I need an explanation for this Sociology question to help me study.
It is time to post your answers to all discussion questions for the Module 2 Discussion.
Please number the questions. Do NOT write the questions out. I just want to see your answers. Be sure to post your word count. It must be 600 or more words. Peer posts must be at least 100 words. Again, be sure to post your word count for both postings.
8. Since the United States is such a rich country compared to others, why do we have so many people living in poverty?
9. What are some of the causes of poverty and how can people get out of poverty?
AFTER COMPLETING THE INITIAL POST, PLEASE ALSO RESPOND WITH A MINIMUM OF 100 WORDS EACH TO THE FOLLOWING TWO STUDENTS REGARDING THE SAME TOPIC!
1. I remember sitting down about five years ago with my mum, and we would always watch survivor and the amazing race together. But as the years have passed, we have slowly stopped doing that. We may once a month get together to watch a show. Since becoming an adult, the shows like we used to watch when I was younger aren’t in the media today. When I was younger, we didn’t have Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+ we used to rent a movie to watch together once every two weeks or so from blockbuster. The media has grown so much over the past 20 years. There is so much now just as our fingertips, so families do not put time aside for it now.
2. We should have more diversity among the mass media makers. With everything that just happened with Kobe Bryant and the media, I think our news outlets and media sources need to hold back on putting out stories until they know all the facts. I do not think the government should have more control since we are a free country with the government not having complete control over our new sources. I do not think they need control anymore or they may begin to abuse their power.
3.The first show the comes to mind when thinking about how society depicts behaviors that are deemed inappropriate, delinquent, or criminal is the show 911. This show followers a firehouse, a cop, and a 911 call center worker. They get calls from someone robbing to killing someone. This shows how the system deals with that type of behavior. The mass media shows how they enforce the social norms by writing or showing news stories on different events that have happened.
4. After 9/11 Police officers and firefighters had earned praise and elevation of status in the community. You did not need the media to know the sacrifice many of the men and women made that day. Many police officers and firefights died that day, and many more have passed from sickness caused by inhaling the smoke. The media just showed us in a better view of how every man and woman can lay down their lives for others.
5. The media has begun to overuse photoshop causing unrealistic ads for a beauty product to clothing. Seeing the images all over social media of these over photoshopped ads gives people a false standard of beauty. It brought shame to having natural body shapes, starch marks, cellulite, scars. Many ads still photoshop out all the imperfection leaving behind an unrealistic airbrush image to sell the items. This is harmful to woman and men, and it puts into their minds that if they have any scars, stretch marks, etc. they are not the ideal beauty standard, and people will not like them. The effects of the media cause many women and men to have insecurities about themselves over those things.
6/7. Since the Superbowl is coming up, that’s an event I decided to write about. I know a few people are upset over who is in the Superbowl, and they hopped it was another team. And since the tension is high during the game, people’s aggression begins to come out, and if you add drinking, that may cause things to get heated. Well, many people are drinking and watching the game, so that makes me think they do not think it is deviant. The behavior they are showing during the Superbowl is just Deviant behavior. The social control that was invoked was Informal control.
8. There are many reasons for why people are living in poverty. Some are veterans who have returned from overseas. Now may have PTSD who have ended up living in poverty since the system has to fault them, and they are unable to keep a job. People not using their money wisely and just blowing through it till they have none left, causing them to live in poverty. There are so many reasons why people are leaving in poverty it can be from gender discrimination to natural disaster and so many in between.
9. Like I said above, the system has failed our veterans who have returned from fighting overseas. Another is the use of narcotics, alcohol, and lack of support. Racial and gender discrimination are other factors for why someone could be living in poverty. Someone may pay a person less just cause of the color of their skin or their race, and that could cause them to fall into poverty. I am thinking if giving the people with substance or alcohol abuse and people with no support the support they may need we can help to get them out of poverty. If they require a place to sleep, they can go to a local shelter. These baby steps will hopefully lead them out of poverty.
word count: 810
1. When I was younger I can clearly remember Sunday nights at 7 pm my entire family would gather to watch Extreme Home Makeover. This was required in my house, we watched it after dinner every Sunday which meant no one was allowed to stay at a friend’s house, and all homework must be done in time. It allowed for a weekly family dinner and quality time together. Now my siblings are grown and we barely have time to see each other in passing, the one time a year we all sit down together is for Christmas eve dinner which follows with the movie Elf every year.
2. The government shouldn’t be involved in mass media at all because most government leaders are also white, male, and rich. It shouldn’t have to involve the government to get diversity in the mass media, the world just needs better humans to run these organizations.
3. Although the super bowl is not a television show I do believe it is a great representation of how society deals with “inappropriate behavior”. The half time show from the super bowl last weekend is a hot topic right now because people believe it was inappropriate and went against what is considered the norm for the half time show. The upset is because they were doing provocative dances and wearing revealing outfits. My biggest issue with this is because NFL cheerleaders dance like this all the time and it is a normality in NFL cheerleading for the girls to wear little to nothing. For example, look up the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders uniform 2019.
4. After 9/11 the mass media showed every man and woman that died including all 412 emergency responders. The media reported on how many total lives were lost and then specifically how many first responders in comparison to how many people were in both buildings. This emphasized the great sacrifice these first responders made in order to save so many people
5. The media has been editing and distorting model images for years. There have even been cases where a model poses for a cover and it looks nothing like them when they see it. Zendaya, Priyanka, Chrissy Teigen all are examples of models who have spoken out against companies editing their bodies to appear thinner on magazine covers without their consent. This is an issue for the younger generations especially with how much exposure they have to social media on a daily basis.
6/7. Sorority and fraternity parties are a great example. There are many people who consider Greek life, in general, to be a bad part of society because of the image it portrays and some aspects such as hazing. The people involved are immersed in the Greek life culture as soon as they attend university whether or not they choose to participate is up to them. Some aspects of Greek life are just deviant behavior such as the parties and events put together, but there are also times when these fraternities break the law especially during rush season when they haze the new members for months. This hazing usually involves drinking which is illegal for members under 21.
8. Poverty is a large issue in America because the government cannot keep up with inflation and job availability. Minimum wage jobs cannot support a single person let alone a family with basic human rights such as shelter and food in most American cities. Therefore, even if people are trying to work and support themselves, unfortunately, it will be a never-ending cycle of living paycheck to paycheck. A great book that dives deep into this subject is “nickel and dimed” by Barbara Ehrenreich.
9. Unfortunately for most people in poverty, there is no way out, a few do get lucky but most are stuck in a never-ending cycle of living paycheck to paycheck or eventually falling into drug habits. I’d say the best way to grow out of poverty as a child is to go to school even if that means going into debt, and over qualify yourself in your field of study and then join the workforce. It is competitive many people have the same degree and if you want to make it you have to stand out.
word count: 706
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.